CIAO! WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

My name is Contessa Ippolita Douglas Scotti di Vigoleno - a  very long name, so please call me ‘Ippo.’  I am a modern day Contessa, and my castle is my kitchen - full of exotic spices, well-worn pans, fresh flowers, magic, music, love and happiness. 


It is a typical day in Florence, and I'm on my way to the San Lorenzo market to buy sumptuous fresh fruits and vegetables.  On my way, I usually  pass through the Piazza della Signoria  and sometimes stop for a strong cup of espresso and delicate pastry.

I never know exactly who will show up at my dinner table in the evenings, so I always stock up on whatever strikes my fancy from the market.  Maybe tonight I will create a tasty Pollo alla Cacciatora (Chicken with Black Olives) for my guests, followed by a Mousse di Cioccolata (Chocolate Mousse).  A good bottle (or two!) of Brunello di Montalcino will never be wasted, nor will a gorgeous bouquet of fresh flowers. 

I hope you enjoy my culinary diary.  I leave you with tonight’s delicious main course! 

Ciao! 
IPPO










Pollo alla Cacciatora
(Chicken with Black Olives)

Italians cook game with black olives and pancetta (bacon).  We call it “alla cacciatore’ (in the hunter way). The hunters cooked it this way to smooth the  strong flavor of  game. 
1 whole chicken
2 slices bacon
A handful of olives
Fresh sage and rosemary
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup red wine
Salt and pepper
Cut chicken into pieces. Heat oil in a large saucepan.  Fry chicken, olives, herbs, salt, bacon and pepper for approximately 15 minutes.  Add wine and cover the pan.
Cook for another 10 minutes.  Serve with green beans.
Serves 4


6 comments:

  1. Hello darling Ippo!! I am thrilled to see that you have started a blog. I only just recently lent your fantastic cookbook to a neighbour who is a fantastic cook and her loved it. I remember our magical times in Florence and can't think of anyone better to share that amazing city and its culinary delights with us all.
    love
    Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contessa,
    I love to cook too, I seem to be the only one in the fsmily who remembers my Nonna's recipes
    this one is just like hers only she added portabella's instead of olives. Think Itry yours for our next Sunday dinner.
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Contessa,

    I'm so glad to see such a well done blog. Are you going to post a day-by-day recipe? It would be great! Have you written some cookbook? Where can I get It? Hope to hear you soon

    Jee-Jott Meesthiatchee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Contessa,
    can you give us the recipe of Pizza Signoria? Is it a typical florentine pizza?
    Thanks a lot!
    Love ;-)
    Flambé

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Ippo your dinner table ring like a bell but your recipes are like a Stradivari's violin
    Hug from a brigante;-)

    ReplyDelete