CIAO! WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday in Firenze

Living in the center of Florence has its privileges. Not only am I surrounded by beautiful ancient architecture, my home is close to the cutest little veggie market called the Sant'Ambrogio street market. I shop there almost every day, because I can always find really fresh vegetables, fruit, local cheese and herbs.

My favorite stall (bancarella, in Italian) is maybe not the most charming one, but it has organic products grown by an old farmer who cultivates them without using any pesticide. There, you can buy vegetables just picked from the garden. Today there were some gorgeous Brussels sprouts. I just had to take them home with me!

When the farmer gave me a bunch of fresh thyme as a gift, I started scheming on how I would combine these two beautiful ingredients. You see, I have dinner guests tonight, and I don't want to serve them boring, boiled Brussels sprouts.  Luckily, Inspiration hit when the aroma of fantastic smoked cheese (scamorza affumicata) lured me to the cheese stand.  All I needed were a few bacon (pancetta) slices for this super easy, tasty recipe.  I hope you enjoy it!  Ciao!


Brussels Sprouts with Smoked Cheese Gratin
1 pound Brussel Sprouts
5 thin slices smoked cheese
6 bacon slices
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper

Clean the brussel sprouts, cutting away the first leaves and the tip of the little stalks.  Wash them, and steam until tender. In the meantime, pre-heat oven to medium heat (350°). Drizzle oil in a baking casserole.  Add the vegetables and cover with cheese slices.  Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper.  Top with bacon slices . Bake until the cheese is melted and bacon is crispy.
Serves 4

Ippo’s secret: to neutralize the Brussels sprout’s nasty smell, add a half lemon or a few drops of vinegar to the boiling water. 


BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH SMOKED CHEESE GRATIN
Photo:  Copyright 2011 Jacapa Pandolfini


1 comment:

  1. wow looks scrumptous. I've been looking for something different to do with sprouts - we eat them a couple times a week.

    ReplyDelete